It’s time for a Daring Baker’s post! When I joined the Daring Bakers, I knew the challenges wouldn’t be a walk in the park, after all, they were challenges but I didn’t have any real trouble with them until this month and quite frankly, I was getting used to them being fairly easy! Not so this month though. When I first saw the challenge and the recipes, I was bummed because it called for coffee buttercream and I don’t like coffee. I figured I’d make it anyway because I had to but I’d just not eat it. As it turned out, that should have been the least of my worries.
I decided I would fill the log with the same buttercream used for the frosting so I needed to have that ready before the cake was baked. I got to work on the buttercream one day and followed all the steps on the recipe but it was a disaster. The buttercream was runny, almost like a warm milk shake. Not pretty. I put it in the fridge hoping it would firm up and be ready to use but it just didn’t firm up right. To make matters worse, I used food coloring to avoid having to use coffee or cocoa in it but somehow I managed to make it dark purple instead of brown. I ended up trashing it.
I had to wait a couple more days till I got more butter to try again. The next time I did, it worked fine. I think the first time I just didn’t whip the egg whites long enough and it just melted the butter. I also added the butter all at the same time which didn’t really help. This time around I did use the coffee as called for in the recipe but the buttercream was cream, not brown so I added cocoa until it was brown.
Once the buttercream was successfully done, I made the sponge. Again, I followed the recipe exactly. My cake took less time to bake than the recipe said it should and it was still over baked. I know my oven was at the right temperature because I keep a thermometer in there. Only after putting the cake in the oven did I realize that I had run out of parchment paper, which would have made rolling the log easier. It probably wouldn’t have mattered though because when I tried to roll it, it cracked everywhere.
I didn’t think I was going to be able to salvage it but I went ahead and let it rest anyway before carving and icing, which I did the next day. Much to my surprise, I was able to cover all the cracks up. I doweled the stumps just for stability but it also made the icing part easier. The meringue mushrooms were just pushed into the buttercream and they stayed there.
It was definitely a challenge and the worst part is, I didn’t get to eat any of it because I just don’t like coffee or chocolate! The things I do to be a Daring Baker!