I’ve had this pattern for a while. I bought it because I really liked the sleeves. I actually really like the open back as in the pattern envelope but let’s face it, I need to wear a bra. There is an option for a closed back for some of the other views and they use the same back pattern piece so it was easy to close the back. I was going to just cut it on a fold but the center back seam is curved so that would not have worked. I actually made a muslin and I cut out a size 12 throughout for that. The neck and shoulder area was too big so when I cut the fashion fabric, I cut a 10 through the neck and shoulder and 12 for everything else. In retrospect, I should have cut an 8 for the neck and shoulders.
Before I started working on this pattern, I read all the reviews on www.patternreview.com. It seems that everyone had trouble with the sleeves and the instructions for them. I was prepared for the worst but I found that they weren’t actually difficult and it made sense to me. They are time consuming and I don’t think an absolute beginner could easily make them but I have seen worse instructions. Anyhow, the most difficult part of the whole process was getting the different sections of the neck area to match. It’s still not perfect but it was the best I could do. I left out the pockets and opted to use a belt rather than the sash from the pattern. I am really pleased with this dress and I think I may make it again using double knit fabric. This one was made with very lightweight denim that I bought in Mexico last year.
I actually have a video to show the process of putting the sleeves together but it’s the first time I shoot video and I am still working on editing the clips and putting them into one. This may take a few days but I hope that I can figure it out soon.