This isn’t technically sewing but I’ll be damned if I start another blog! Besides, I did “sew” by weaving in the ends of the yarn, that’s gotta count for something!
Anyhow, I made this cute little “lovey” for a friend’s brand spanking new baby. It is my first knitting project in probably two years so I’m surprised that I finished it at all. Having finished it is particularly surprising considering my extensive history of UFOs, knitted AND sewn. I lose interest in projects pretty quickly, especially if I have to rip seams or frog rows. But, alas, I did not actually make any mistakes on this one! I used a free pattern, available here (you have to sign in). It was actually pretty easy, the only thing that made it slightly frustrating was my choice of yarn. If you attempt this pattern, I should note that there is an error that, if not corrected, makes the stuffing of the head impossible. It is in row 9 of the ears. After binding off the 18 stitches, the instructions say “P1, SL1, P1” repeat across the row, but it should actually read “SL 1, P1, SL1″… If you start with a purl, you will close off the head cavity; the first stitch after binding off is a slip, not a purl. You have been warned!
I used just over 1 skein of Bernat Baby Blanket yarn, and size US 10.5 and US 8 needles. I chose to finish it off with a blue ribbon woven around the “neck,” it looks MUCH better this way.
The most difficult part of this entire project was the face. There was a lot of frustration, trial, and mostly error, involved. As you can see, it’s not perfect but I still rather like it, and the baby won’t care that it’s not perfect. I did show the bunny to my best friend, who is perfectly aware that I knit, and he thought I had bought it, which was meant as a compliment.
I have other knitting and sewing projects in the works, now that I FINALLY graduated and don’t have homework to do!
So, without further ado, my Bunny Blanket Buddy